Stok Khangri Climbing
- Region : Leh – Stok – Leh
- Duration : 4 Days / 3 Nights
- Season : Mid June to September
- Highest Point : Stok Khangri (6,150m)
General Itinerary :
- Day 01 : Leh to Stok to Mankarmo Morning drive to Stok village that takes around 15 kms from Leh. Start walking from the trekking point along the river left side of right side of the river. It’s easy but very long walks from through the valley. There are many shepherd camps in the different entrance of the sub valleys. The Mankarmo Camp is at the point from where the valley turns southward. It is possible to trek up to the first base camp but to get acclimatize, one is recommended to make it in two days. If you are a god trekker or doing it after fully acclimatised then you go ahead. The Camp at Mankarmo is on the river bed.
- Day 02 : Mankarmo to Base Camp Keep walking in the same direction for around 30 minutes and then head towards southward. Scramble along the tributaries passing through a few shepherd camps on the other side of the river. The camp is reached after vertical ascend which is nice camp but there is no toilet facilities. Take care of your food and cloths from animal around. Today you walk up to the advance base camp for acclimatization. The trail leads you towards west and then southward from the top of the hill. You will be passing through a few glaciers before you reach advance base camp from where you start crossing the glacier.
- Day 03 : Base Camp to Summit to Base Camp; Keep your torch and other climbing gears ready for the early morning start. You should start at least by 4 am but it will be dark when you start in the morning. But it will be light by the time you reach advance base camp. It will be ideal to wait till there is a light enough to see the craves clearly. Start crossing the glacier towards south-east and then climb the peak to the western side. There are two ways to go up one from the right side of the glacier which more technical and the left side trail is more easier the steps of rocks. You can scramble back to the base camp from the same way you had climbed.
- Day 04 : Base Camp to Stok to Leh; Morning after the breakfast walk down to Stok and drive to Leh.