Markha Valley Trek
- Region : Delhi – Leh – Markha Valley – Delhi
- Duration : 14 Days – 13 Nights
- Highest Point : Kongmaru La 5150 m
- Season : June to October
General Itinerary :
- Day 01 : Arrive Delhi : where you will be met and transfered to your hotel. (Hotel B&B)
- Day 02 : Delhi – Leh (3500m) by plane : Take the morning flight for Leh. Check into the guest house and relax the whole day. This is necessary for getting acclimatised. Overnight at the guesthouse.
- Day 03 : Leh – Shey – Thiksey – Hemis :On this day you will go a sightseeing trip to some ancient monasteries in this area.
- Day 04 : Leh – Spitok (Drive) – Trek To Zinchen (3200 M) :Leave Leh early morning by Jeeps and reach Spituk (1 hr). Visit the Spituk Gompa, built about 500 years ago. Start the trek from here by crossing a bridge and walking south-west of the river Indus. The gorge section leads to the confluence of Indus and Zinchen. Camp near the village of Zinchen. Overnight in Tents.
- Day 05 : Zinchen – Yurutse (3900 M) Via Rumbak :It’s a gradual climb from Zinchen to Rumbak. From here one gets fabulous views of the snow capped Stok Mountains. From here we move along the Rumbak Nala towards Yurutse. At Yurutse village you will find fields of barley and potatoes. Overnight in Tents.
- Day 06 : Yurutse – Skiu (3100 M) Via Ganda La :A gradual ascent followed by a steep climb gets one to the Ganda la (4900 M). From here views extend south to the Zanskar range and distant summits of the Himalayan range. This is followed by a long descent to Shingo village. From Shingo the trail heads into a narrow gorge leading towards Skiu. At Skiu there is a confluence of the rivers coming from Markha valley and Shingo. Overnight in Tents.
- Day 07 : Skiu – Markha (3800 M) :It’s a very pleasant hike, up the Markha valley today with the trail crossing numerous streams. Markha is a quaint village with a deserted fort and a small village Overnight in Tents.
- Day 08 : Markha – Thochuntse :From Markha the country changes and the warm, relatively heavily wooded sections of the lower Markha is left behind. One will be required to cross the river several times as there are no bridges here. Hankar, en route, is the highest village in the Markha valley. Overnight in Tents.
- Day 09 : Thochuntse – Nimaling (4700 M) :Trek starts on a good path with several small inclines and a series of grassy ridges. There are a series of mani walls (walls carved with Buddhist prayers) and chortens en route. This is one of the most beautiful high valleys in Ladakh and is dominated by the Kangyaze peak. Overnight in Tents.
- Day 10 : Nimaling – Kongmaru La (5150 M) – Sumdo :Today one will cross to the north of the Markha, climbing to the top of the highest of the three passes, the 5,306 M Kongmaru La, with its wonderful views from the top. There are snow peaks in every direction and on a clear day the giants of Karakoram, including K2, can be seen on the north-western horizon. The trail descends to the Martselang valley, following the Martselang stream to the village of Sumdo. Overnight in tents.
- Day 11 : Sumdo – Hemis (4 Hrs Trek) – Leh :Today make an easy descent along the Martselang to where it broadens into the valley of the Indus at Martselang village. Board the awaiting jeeps. Visit Hemis monastery and after that drive to Leh via Shey and Thiksey monastery. Overnight in a hotel.
- Day 12 : Leh – Delhi :Transfer to the airport for the spectacular flight across the main chain of the Himalaya to Delhi.