Rumtse to Tsomoriri Trek
- Region : Leh – Tsomoriri
- Duration : 9 Days – 8 Nights
- Season : June to September
- Highest Point : ShibukLa (5016m)
General Itinerary :
- Day 01 : Leh to Rumtse (4095m) After the breakfast drive to Rumtse, enroute visit Thiksey and Hemis monasteries. Overnight in the tent at Rumtse.
- Day 02 : Rumtse to Kyamar (4383m), 4-5 hrs. Walk along the road till Tourist Bungalow and turn to right and walk through the Bungalow. From where a small trail leads towards to valley passing through abandoned army huts. Finally it reaches near the river coming from the right. Cross the river and enter in to the valley though a rough motorable road. After walking for a few minutes cross the river to the left and walk in the same direction. Cross another tributaries coming from the right side. Walking through the same valley sometimes it narrows and widens. Finally it turns to the north and the Camp site is next to shepherds place.
- Day 03 : Kyamar to Tisaling (4800m) via Kyumur La (4870m) and Mandalchan La (4996m) , 5-6 hrs. After a few minutes walk from the Campsite the ascent of Kyumur La starts its easy but very long way to reach the top. There beautiful flowers on the way. From the top of the pass the trail divides into two one goes to your left which leads towards Tsokar but one day longer. You can take the trail falls on your right, which goes down to the steam and start climbing another pass across the stream. There is no trail to be seen for sometimes but after few minutes a clear trail leads you to the top of Mandalchanla (4996m). The trail goes further up and then steep down to a beautiful area called Tisaling. Pitch your tent here.
- Day 04 : Tisaling to Pangunagu (Tsokar 4398m) via ShibukLa (5016m) 5-6 hrs. Today you have to cross ShibukLa near the camp site. There are hill saddle, so you have cross right saddle. As soon as you come on the top of the pass you can have view the view of Tsokar Lake. Walk down the to the Tsokar Lake through an easy descent to the Lake ,as soon as you finish the gorge walk from the hill as the campsite is just behind the hill.
- Day 05 : Pangunagu to Nuruchan (4500m) 4-5 hrs. Today it’s an easy walk along the Lake. Walk towards east through the motorable road and take the same direction from the end of Stupa along the road. After sometimes you can have view of Agriculture field. And the Campsite is just next to the field near the river.
- Day 06 : Nuruchan to Rachungkaru (4668m) via Dundunchanla (4712m) 3-5 hrs.An easy ascend to the pass takes around 1 hours 30 minutes. The trail turns towards north-east just after the pass. through a valley. The camp site is across the river at the base of the pass.
- Day 07 : Rachungkaru to Gyamalhoma (4895m) 6-7 hrs. Start climbing the Kyamayur La (5125m) which takes around 2 hrs. at average speed. The last climb is the tiring one. After the pass the trail leads towards north-east and at the end of the valley trail starts ascending another small pass called Gyama La (5100m) from where you can have views of Peaks. Walk down towards north-east and cross the small river and the Gyama lhoma is reached after another river crossing which is also a base for Krzok pass.
- Day 08 : Gyamalhoma to Korzok (Tsomoriri Lake) Start an easy ascent to the Korzok pass along the stream.,. It takes around 2 hrs to reach the top from where you cab have the wonderful view of the Lake. Then Steep down to Korzok village. You can also camp at Korzok Phu where nomad camps are located, around one hour before the lake if you have extra days.
- Day 09 : Tsomoriri to Leh (240 kms/6 hours approx.) After the breakfast walk around the Lake and drive to Leh via Mahey Bridge and Chumathangs.